You can use the Google Play Store's Install Referrer API to securely retrieve referral content from Google Play, such as:
- The referrer URL of the installed package.
- The timestamp, in seconds, of when a referrer click happened (both client- and server-side).
- The timestamp, in seconds, of when an installation began (both client- and server-side).
- The app's version at the time when the app was first installed.
- Whether the user has interacted with your app's instant experience in the past 7 days.
The Install Referrer API is exposed by the Google Play Store app on a device. Devices with a Google Play app version of 8.3.73 or later automatically have access to the API.
You must also have a Google Play Console account to use the Install Referrer API.
Using the API
The Install Referrer API is implemented as an Android Interface Definition Language (AIDL) interface.
- If you are using the Kotlin programming language or the Java programming language, use the Play Install Referrer Client Library to simplify your coding.
- If you are using another programming language, use the Play Install Referrer API.